Brotherhood airships heading east during a storm
An airship is a type of aircraft that utilizes bags filled with gases that are lighter than air to achieve liftoff and can be controlled from a main cabin. A zeppelin is a type of rigid airship.
Usage[edit | edit source]
Brotherhood of Steel[edit | edit source]
The Brotherhood once possessed an entire fleet of airships. These simple air vessels are said to have been an impressive sight when they once filled the skies of New California, but as time went by, they were either destroyed fighting super mutant remnants after the fall of the Unity or dismantled for parts and materials. One crashed on an expedition somewhere in the Midwest.
Some time after the fall of the Master, the Brotherhood of Steel used zeppelins to travel east, to locate and assess the extent of the remaining super mutant threat. However, while crossing the mountains, a great storm broke the main airship and blew it far off course. The ship suffered severe damage, with smaller sections torn loose from the main craft and never to be seen again. The damage caused by the storm also claimed many of the Air Convoy leaders, including Paladin Latham. The command zeppelin remained aloft, thanks to the efforts of the surviving crew, who managed to keep the wounded vessel aloft until it reached the outskirts of Chicago. There the ship crashed, and those who had lasted through both storm and the crash landing eventually formed the Eastern Brotherhood of Steel, a new organization, which diverged greatly from the ideals of the old Brotherhood. The wrecked zeppelin is to be found near the area later known as Osceolla. It was there that Paladin Latham, having somehow survived his ejection from the airship, established his main base after taking the name of Gammorin, and becoming leader of the super mutants to be found there.
Eastern division[edit | edit source]
Gallery[edit | edit source]
An airship over Boston
Appearances[edit | edit source]
- Kells: "Actually, the Brotherhood of Steel had a whole fleet of these things at one time. They weren't as advanced as the Prydwen, mind you... but seeing them fill the sky must have been an impressive sight."
Survivor: "Are you kidding me? What happened to them?"
Kells: "Not sure, really. Most of them were destroyed fighting Super Mutants or scuttled for parts. I think one of them crash landed somewhere in the Midwest. I heard that the wreckage is still there."
- The Sole Survivor: "Did the Brotherhood ever build other airships?"
Kells: "There were less advanced versions of this ship built on the West Coast a long time ago. Historical records about their current status are in dispute, but we're fairly certain that they were destroyed. In any event, I hope your tour of the Prydwen helped acclimate you to our way of life up here. I think you'll find that the more familiar you become with both her capabilities and her crew, the longer you'll survive as a member of the Brotherhood. You're dismissed, Knight/Paladin/Sentinel."
- Fallout Tactics intro: " Super mutants, the foot soldiers of a conquered army, had been forced into retreat across the mountainous barrier to the east. The Brotherhood constructed airships and dispatched the minority to track down and assess the extent of the remaining super mutant threat."
- Fallout Tactics intro: "But disaster struck while crossing the great mountains. A great storm broke the main airship and flung it far from its course. The mighty ship was badly damaged. The smaller sections were torn from the main craft, never to be seen again. Many of the expedition`s leaders were lost to the winds."
- Fallout Tactics intro: "The fraction of the crew that still survived, struggled to keep their ship aloft before finally crashing on the outskirts of a once thriving metropolis. A city once called "Chicago". Broken, scattered and scarred. They took stock of the situation and once again squared their shoulders to the task ahead."
- Fallout Tactics intro: "Separated by distance and ideology from the main Brotherhood forces. The minority was free to forge a new "Brotherhood of Steel". One that reflected the ideals they had strived for all along."
- The Sole Survivor: "Where was the Prydwen constructed?"
Kells: "She was constructed at Adam's Air Force Base just outside of Washington D.C. There was a vast amount of scrap metal and salvageable components there after we defeated the Enclave. We spent the first two years alone gathering the parts. The rest was spent assembling. It was worth the effort. With the Prydwen in our arsenal, we can mobilize our entire division... sending her anywhere that Elder Maxson wishes her to go. Her presence in the Commonwealth ensures that our mission to defeat the Institute will end in victory."