Forum:Rich Text Editor
Voting closed; RTE removed[edit source]
I went looking on the main Wikia site's forums for how to disable the Rich Text Editor for the whole wiki; it's my personal belief that it causes too many problems. I found this forum post which provides an answer. Basically, we would need to contact them to request it. So, I'd like to put it to a vote and see if this is something we'd like to do.
Before voting, try both the Rich Text Editor and the standard editor (which I think is called the Wikitext editor) so that you can make an informed decision.
Should we ask to have the Rich Text Editor disabled on The Vault?[edit source]
Poll finished on September 17, 2010.
A consensus must be reached by voting before any action is taken.
- Kris --
- Nitty Tok.
- Gothemasticator 01:40, September 8, 2010 (UTC) I hate that thing.--
- -bleep196- 01:58, September 8, 2010 (UTC) yes and dangit yes Hate it hate it hate it.
They shouldn't have activated it in the first place.
- Tezzla Cannon 18:57, September 11, 2010 (UTC)
- Game widow 20:46, September 12, 2010 (UTC) —
- Nukey (talk) 01:00, September 17, 2010 (UTC) Please please do.
- Apocalyptic Anomoly
- Deus 03:11, September 17, 2010 (UTC) just to help the other ppl. I really dont have a problem with it.
- Revolverman Even though I suck with wikicode.
- Volundarkvioa 03:25, September 17, 2010 (UTC) Please freaking do. --
- Big McLargeHuge 04:24, September 17, 2010 (UTC) RTF makes it difficult for anons to make constructive edits.
- Vault 815 04:42, September 17, 2010 (UTC) I turned off RTE two days after it was activated!
- Matt of the wastes hate it!
- CRIMINAL SCUM 09:54, September 17, 2010 (UTC) Hell yes. As Glob put it; "I hate that fucking thing."
- TestECull Leave it on, it's awesome.
- Please!Shadow 12:34, September 17, 2010 (UTC)
- Mr.Lexx(talk) 13:57, September 17, 2010 (UTC) Get rid of it, it only makes more problems.--
- Masana82 Yes, please! -
- User:Bdeimos Yep. I had some problems with WYSIWYG. Using only code mode.
- Mr Habberdasher 15:56, September 17, 2010 (UTC) Rich text = bad times guys
- JaspertheViking :D? 19:27, September 17, 2010 (UTC) Do it. I command you!
- Dante Aligheri
- Ribbity104 20:49, September 17, 2010 (UTC) The RTE has a mind of its own - and it's not very bright.
- Fallout Zero It's...for the best
- Fall-Over ah why not
- YawningTeenager YawningTeenager 23:04, September 17, 2010 (UTC)
- User:Alexandersig What's the score, 30-1? I'm pretty sure the people have spoken.
- Agent c (I don't mind, but helping to boost the overall vote numbers)
- The14th 02:57, September 18, 2010 (UTC)
Anon votes[edit source]
- 184.108.40.206 23:13, September 17, 2010 (UTC) I prefer the, what I think of as the normal editor. The RTE is more inviting to those new to wiki formatting, but, in my opinion, and I am a programmer, the Wikitext editor or whatever it is is easier to use. --
- 220.127.116.11 04:07, September 17, 2010 (UTC) A thousand times yes. Mobile is hell.
- Oh ya
Comments and questions[edit source]
The RTE will make edits to parts of a page that the user does not intend to touch. It's also the default for unregistered contributors and I'm not sure if they can change it. It hides comments unless you actively go looking for them, and those comments are important to be read while editing. --Kris 21:47, September 7, 2010 (UTC)
- I do have a question about this; what stops them from adding it right back in with the new skin 'upgrade'? Nitty Tok. 01:42, September 8, 2010 (UTC)
The vote is unanimous among those voting. I'll get the ball rolling right now. --Kris 01:03, September 15, 2010 (UTC)
I got a reply:
- Hello Kris,
- We do indeed discuss turning off the RTE on a case-by-case basis, but getting
just six votes on such a large community as the Vault does not adequately constitute community agreement. Push more people to read the thread and post their agreement/disagreement and we will look back into it.
The poll has been reopened; I've set the time to 180 days but we can end it earlier with enough votes. Please urge everyone to vote! --Kris 00:58, September 17, 2010 (UTC)
- Well, then the forum should be linked to on the top bar. Nitty Tok. 01:05, September 17, 2010 (UTC)
A Message From Wikia Staff[edit source]
We received email from your admins a few days ago about this thread. Seeing enough community support, we have gone ahead and disabled RTE editing on your wiki as you requested. While we have done so, we would definitely like to hear your feedback about what was specifically wrong with the Rich Text Editor on The Vault so we can make improvements to the RTE for all of Wikia. We understand that the Rich Text Editor is not perfect (but it's current iteration we are very proud of) and we also have a personal preferences page for each user so that they can turn it off should they find the RTE not for them.
In response to an earlier question, I can not say for sure what the future of the RTE on every wiki will be when we switch over to the new look - we are looking at the two matters separately but obviously we are definitely thinking about the overall future of Wikia and how we want editors to feel at their wikis. While we respect the community wishes, our aim is to improve the RTE to an editing system as flawless as your basic wikitext editor and at that point I imagine we would like to let every editor make a decision for him or herself.
Also, thank you to this community for taking the time to create a discussion about this matter. It's good to see the Forum and Polls system working quite well here. Best regards, --daNASCAT<staff /> (Help Forum) (blog) 04:37, September 18, 2010 (UTC)