Fallout Tactics characters project
Missing data (derived, tag skill %s, dialogue)
A template in this article or section is missing some data. You can help The Vault by filling it in.
|The following is based on Fallout Tactics and some details might contradict canon.|
General Simon Barnaky was the commanding officer of the Eastern Brotherhood of Steel from 2197 until 2198, and he was one of the original rebellious young paladins who disagreed with the Brotherhood's code and he wanted to bring technology to the outside world.
Background[edit | edit source]
Human life[edit | edit source]
The general was not a noble knight seeking to bring justice and peace to the wastes – he loathed non-prime humans, including tribals and ghouls, evident in his statements about their apparent impurity. His disdain for these "primates" was apparent in his initial dealings with the Warrior, who was originally a tribal before joining the Eastern Brotherhood of Steel. However, as the Warrior continued to succeed in the most desperate of missions, Barnaky began to genuinely respect and trust the former tribal, though he was none too happy about the Warrior encouraging hairy deathclaws and super mutants to join the Eastern Brotherhood. Regardless, he recognized this could potentially strengthen the Eastern Brotherhood, and didn't dare go against the Midwestern elders' wishes. He had a wife named Maria. The general dedicated his life to her, vowing to cleanse the land of impure mutations and monsters to allow normal humans to thrive.
In 2198, he was taken prisoner by Gammorin's Army forces while commanding Brimstone Squad in St. Louis. The convoy, with the captured general, was intercepted by Calculator's robots and he was taken to Scott City. There, after torture and experimentation, his brain was extracted and put into a robotic suit. The Calculator intended on extracting his knowledge about the Eastern Brotherhood's internal and external workings to help facilitate completion for many of the Calculator's objectives.
Brain bot form[edit | edit source]
Simon Barnaky, now a humanoid brain bot, with a semi-lobotomized brain and a robotic programming, saw the power of the Calculator as humanity's and his own last chance to bring a new order to the wastes. In his mind, the Calculator offered humanity a world of order and peace, a world free of war, of mutants, and chaos. He, however, was unaware that the Calculator was corrupted and exterminates all life, knowing only that its "pacification protocol" is able to bring death to mutant abominations. He successfully retained a part of his consciousness along with new programming without conflict between them. After that, he became the Calculator's right-hand, a protector and adviser, an enemy and betrayer to his old comrades, whom he now believed to be corrupted by genetic mutation and his former position as a leader of the Eastern Brotherhood of Steel allowed the Calculator army to effectively erase defensive measure of the Eastern Brotherhood. His position into commanding officer of the Eastern Brotherhood of Steel was given by the elders to General Dekker.
While his body and the fact of his brain's absence was discovered in Scott City, the truth about his alliance with the Calculator is revealed only in Vault 0, where the Warrior encounters him guarding the Calculator. Barnaky is very confident in his and his master's goals, believing the Calculator's way to be the best for the wasteland.
Fate[edit | edit source]
There are three possible ways the general's story could end, depending on how the Warrior chooses to deal with him:
- He could come back to his senses after the Warrior reminds him of his wife using his locket or his holotape. Now Barnaky becomes scared of his betrayal, his new form and human extermination. After this, the Warrior could put his brain into the Calculator, which then takes on a pro-Prime human mentality and begins to restore mankind to its prior glory at the cost of all mutated beings and mariposa super mutants being hunted down and chased back to the West Coast.
- He could be finally killed while fighting the Warrior.
- His fate if the Warrior saved him then decided to sacrifice himself to become one with the Calculator is not known, though it could be assumed he becomes the guardian of the Warrior/Calculator, or is executed by the Eastern Brotherhood of Steel.
Interactions with the player character[edit | edit source]
Interactions overview[edit | edit source]
This section is needed but has not been written yet. You can help The Vault by writing it.
Inventory[edit | edit source]
Human[edit | edit source]
Rusty old monkey wrench
Drops on death
Humanoid brain bot[edit | edit source]
|x1000 .50 caliber round|
Drops on death
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Simon Barnaky appears only in Fallout Tactics.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- His first name is mentioned only in his holodisk letter to his wife, the text of which is not available in the game itself, but can be found in mission files.
- General Barnaky is the name of the general whose house is broken into by Bill Murray and Harold Ramis in the film Stripes.
- General Barnaky is voiced by the ever-popular R. Lee Ermey, who is famous for his numerous roles as military veterans, foremost among them Gunnery Sergeant Hartmann from Full Metal Jacket.
- MIS 06 Speech.txt: "One more thing. Quincy is home to both humans and ghouls. While most of our Elders believe ghouls are almost our equals, I do not agree."
- MIS 08 Speech.txt: "Intelligence reports that the mayor's political stance with the ghouls has angered some of Springfield's far-right, human activists who refuse to acknowledge the sub-humans as near equals. While I have to say I agree with them... our Elders think otherwise."
- MIS 09 Speech.txt: "...At 0900 yesterday, while on patrol, Fang Squad encountered a large contingent of heavily armed Super-Mutants in the region known as St. Louis. They fought bravely against this overwhelming force and managed to radio in a distress call right before they were annihilated.
Eight battle-hardened squads led by General Barnaky rushed to the scene and are now in pitched combat with the Super-Mutants. While we were able to push them back initially, our losses have been staggering. As a result, we need to pull our forces out of there immediately. This battle is lost."
- MIS 23 Speech.txt: "You better sit down for this, Brother. After you left Scott City, Repo Squad was sent in to insure the facility was rendered useless to the Calculator's forces. I'm sorry to say they have made a grisly discovery.
General Barnaky's body was found in one of the robot's operating rooms. He was presumed dead for about twelve hours.
That's not all. The top of the General's head was cut off and his brain was removed.
We don't know why, but the Calculator is now lobotomizing pure blood humans. Repo Squad found approximately three hundred brainless corpses in a shallow grave outside the compound. Our scribes believe that's how they extract information. This is disturbing news if they have access to General Barnaky's knowledge."
- MIS 26 Speech.txt: "That's far enough, warrior.
Can you recognize me now, even in my new form? You've come along way since my departure, but you haven't come far enough.
The Brotherhood has caused many setbacks for us recently, but that's all they are... just setbacks. You cannot stop the future, just as you can't stop falling rain from reaching the ground.
The Calculator offers humanity a world of order and peace, a world free of war, of mutants, and chaos.
The Brotherhood would be wise to realize that their cause has been tainted by misdirection and genetic mutation, but they can still save themselves if they stop trying to prevent the unavoidable.
However, you are too close to my new master and salvation, to be allowed to continue.
I salute you warrior, but this is where your mission ends..."